Search This Blog

Monday, October 14, 2013

Twilight

Synopsis: A teenage girl – Bella, falls in love with a vampire – Edward.

I have dreaded this day. I knew this day was coming for a while now. Today somebody told me, with a straight face, to watch Twilight. “Everyone has seen it,” she said, “that’s what your blog’s about, right? Movies everyone has seen.” Reluctantly, I nodded and told her I’d watch the movie.

It’s not that I personally have anything against Twilight; I’ve never seen it. It’s just how people have taken Twi-hating to the next level. It honestly can’t be that bad, can it?

For this review, I will try to find only the good things about this movie. Only the good things. Why? Because I’ve heard every criticism there is about this movie – from the anti-feminism of Bella to the ugliness of Edward’s face.  This movie needs some optimism and hopefully it won’t be that hard to find.

Good Things about Twilight:

1.       It’s romantic – if you’re into that sort of thing. Who doesn’t love teenage love? The hormones, the declarations of love, the secretly watching you while you sleep. At first, it sounds creepy – but as the movie rolls on viewers just have to go with it.
2.       Parents rejoice! This movie features abstinence. Sure, Bella’s boyfriend watches her while she sleeps. Just be thankful it’s not another movie about him trying to sleep with her.
3.       Werewolves and vampires are cool. This movie is like a child-appropriate version of Underworld. Next time I’m babysitting and want to watch Kate Beckinsale’s fully-leathered body mow down beasts with machine guns, I’ll pop this in instead. The parents will thank me.
4.        Characters don’t talk a lot. This is an easy paced movie. If you miss three minutes of it while making more popcorn – don’t worry, you didn’t miss anything. Probably just Bella and Edward staring at each other.

Whew, there it is. A positive list about Twilight. What do you think is the most redeeming quality of Twilight?


No comments:

Post a Comment